- Thomas Cole, Catskill Sketchbook, Prints and Drawings Department, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.
- Thomas Cole Papers, 1821-1863, Manuscripts and Special Collections, New York State Library (NYSL), Albany, N.Y.
- Thomson-Cole papers, Greene County Historical Society, Coxsackie, N.Y.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art. American Paradise: The World of the Hudson River School. Introduction by John K. Howat with contributions by Oswaldo Rodriguez Roque, Kevin J. Avery, Barbara Ball Buff, et al. New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art, Distributed by Harry N. Abrams, 1987.
- Truettner, William H. and Alan Wallach, eds., with contributions by J. Gray Sweeney, et al. Thomas Cole: Landscape into History. New Haven: Yale University Press; Washington, D.C.: National Museum of American Art, Smithsonian Institution, 1994.
- The Newington-Cropsey Foundation:
- Thomas Cole's "Essay on American Scenery":
- Thomas Cole's poetry: