- Felker, Tracie. "First Impressions: Thomas Cole's Drawings of His 1825 Trip up the Hudson River," American Art Journal 24, nos. 1/2 (1992): 60-93.
- Ferber, Linda S., ed. Kindred Spirits: Asher B. Durand and the American Landscape. New York: Brooklyn Museum in association with D Giles Limited, 2007.
- Field, George. Chromatics: or, an Essay on the Analogy and Harmony of Colours. London: Printed for the author by A.J. Valpy and sold by Mr. Newman, 1817.
- Flexner, James Thomas. History of American Painting: That Wilder Image, the Native School from Thomas Cole to Winslow Homer. Boston: Little, Brown, 1962; New York: Dover Publications, 1970.
- Foshay, Ella M. and Barbara Novak. Intimate Friends: Thomas Cole, Asher B. Durand, and William Cullen Bryant. New York: The New-York Historical Society, 2000.
- Foshay, Ella M. Mr. Luman Reed's Picture Gallery: A Pioneer Collection of American Art. Introduction by Wayne Craven. Catalogue by Timothy Anglin Burgard. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc. in association with the New-York Historical Society, 1990.