- Civosky, Nikolai Jr. "The Ravages of the Axe: The Meaning of the Tree Stump in Nineteenth-Century Art," Art Bulletin 61 (1979): 611-626.
- Cole, Thomas. The Collected Essays and Prose Sketches. Edited By Marshall Tymn. St. Paul: The John Colet Press, 1980.
- Cole, Thomas. The Correspondence Of Thomas Cole and Daniel Wadsworth: Letters in the Watkinson Library, Trinity College, Hartford and New York State Library, Albany N.Y. Edited by J. Bard McNulty. Hartford: Connecticut Historical Society, 1983.
- Cole, Thomas. Thomas Cole's Poetry: The Collected Poems Of America's Foremost Painter of the Hudson River School Reflecting His Feelings for Nature and the Romantic Spirit of the Nineteenth Century. Compiled and edited by Marshall B. Tymn. York, Penns.: Liberty Cap Books, 1972.
- Cole, Thomas. "Essay on American Scenery," American Monthly Magazine 1 (January 1836): 1-12.
- Comstock, J.L. Outlines of Geology. New York: Robinson, Pratt, 1838.