- Maddox, Kenneth W. "Thomas Cole and the Railroad: Gentle Maledictions," Archives of American Art Journal 26, no. 1 (1986): 2-10.
- Maynard, Barksdale W. "Thomas Cole Drawing on Stone Found at Cedar Grove," American Art Journal 30, nos. 1/2 (1999): 133-139.
- Merritt, Howard S. To Walk with Nature: The Drawings of Thomas Cole. Yonkers, N.Y.: Hudson River Museum, 1981.
- Miller, Angela L. The Empire of the Eye: Landscape Representation and American Cultural Politics, 1825-1875. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press, 1993.
- Myers, Kenneth. The Catskills: Painters, Writers, and Tourists in the Mountains, 1820-1895. Yonkers, N.Y.: Hudson River Museum of Westchester, 1987.
- Myers, Kenneth. "On the Cultural Construction of Landscape Experience: Contact to 1830," in American Iconology. Edited by David C. Miller. New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1993.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art:
- Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute, Utica, New York: