- Parry, Ellwood C., III. The Art of Thomas Cole: Ambition and Imagination. Newark, Dela.: University of Delaware Press, 1988.
- Parry, Ellwood C., III. "Thomas Cole and the Problem of Figure Painting," American Art Journal 4, no. 1 (May 1972): 66-86.
- Peck, H. Daniel. "Unlikely Kindred Spirits: A New Vision of Landscape in the Works of Henry David Thoreau and Asher B. Durand," American Literary History 17, no. 4 (2005): 687-713.
- Phillips, Sandra S. and Linda Weintraub, eds. Charmed Places: Hudson River Artists and Their Houses, Studios, and Vistas. New York: Bard College and Vassar College in association with Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1988.
- Powell, Earl A. Thomas Cole. New York: Harry N. Abrams, 1990, 2000.