Thomas Cole. Oil on canvas, 1840, 51 ¾ x 78 ¼ in. Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute, Utica, NY, 55.108.
Mouse over the detail to view its caption, click it to zoom in, and use the reset button on the lower right to zoom back out.
1. The Voyager sits in the boat, as he did in childhood. He is now an old man. He floats from the river into the "Ocean of Eternity." The sculpted figures on the boat also droop with old age.
2. The angel rejoins the Voyager at the end of his days to lead him to heaven.
3. The hourglass has completely broken off the boat: the Voyager's time is up.
4. Light from the heavens shines onto the Voyager, signifying his salvation.
5. An angel descends from Heaven, while others wait in the clouds, "as if to welcome him to the Haven of Immortal Life."
6. The lack of trees or vegetation signifies that it is winter, the end of the year. The barren rocks are "the last shores of the world."
7. The dark clouds confirm the end of day, and the end of the Voyager's life.
This site employs current web standards and accessibility best practices for CSS, XHTML, Flash, and
Firefox 3.x and
Apple Safari 3.x or greater,
Opera 9.x and
Adobe Flash Player 10 or greater.